maandag 9 januari 2012

Blog 12 - Stranger donated kidney after meeting at a party

Source


Left: More than 6,500 people in the UK are waiting for a donor kidney.
Right: Manoly Viravong and Veronica Buttigieg.

Summary

Thousands of people in the UK are waiting for a heart, liver or kidney that could save their lives. Manoly Viravong was one of them. Short after she had given birth to her first child, doctors diagnosed her with chronic kidney disease. Her physical condition was so severe that she was put on the transplant list. However, there was no suitable donor until she met Veronica Buttigieg at a party. Minutes after meeting each other Veronica decided to donate her kidney. In July the procedure took place and with success. After two years Melony no longer needs dialysis. She is now even able to fly to Laos to visit her family.

Reaction

It is amazing that there are still people like Victoria. I do not believe I will ever have the courage for what she did. Of course I will give a kidney to a family member, but I do not know if I will do the same for a completely stranger. Maybe I need to know the person before I donate one of my organs. Our society should really be grateful for all the others who do not hesitate to become a donor. Because of all these people many lives are saved or can be saved in the future.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten