zondag 20 november 2011

Blog 3 - Archbishop 'disappointed' with Government same-sex marriage plan
(Speaker's Corner) 

Source

 
                                              
Summary

For decades same-sex marriage has been a hot issue for churches. This week the Archbishop of Westminster, Vincent Nichols, responded to the Government’s plans to legalize same-sex marriages in the United Kingdom. The archbishop said he is disappointed that the Government has chosen to follow this direction. Although he fully supports equality and commitment, he said that this doesn’t mean that he directly supports equal marriage as well. Respect for a life-long partnership is completely different than when you call it a marriage. According to him marriage distinguishes itself from other partnerships by being very  important for the wellbeing of society. It is the foundation of family life and a majority of people also experienced it this way.

Reaction

Family is very important for the way how a person develops himself. When I read this article it seems to be that the Catholic Church believes that homosexual couples cannot build a good foundation for a family. I respect the church’s beliefs, but I do not agree that a marriage between heterosexual people guarantees a good family life foundation. There have been a lot of cases about child abuse in the Dutch media. Children who were physically or mentally abused, mostly by their heterosexual parents. The American Psychological Association (APA), a professional psychological organisation, even revealed in specific research into lesbian and gay parenting that homosexual couples have the same ability as heterosexual couples to provide a stable environment for their children. So, lesbian and gay couples can also give children a good family life and also contribute to our wellbeing of society. Being a good parent has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Do you want to know more about the APA research? Look at http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/parenting.aspx.

1 opmerking:

  1. Sometimes society puts gay couples under scrutiny some of them might be even more caring than heterosexual couples. I really believe they are able to provide a stable environment so I could not disagree more with the Archbishop. many countries are moving in a positive direction but it also takes time for conservative people to adapt to the changes.
    However, I do respect his opinion and think it is positive that he is able to express his views freely.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen